Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 February 2010

Setting up of the feeders and why I put them where I did

The setting up of the feeders was paramount to this project. I wanted to do this, as it is bird photography that I really enjoy doing. I set them up to see what birds were in different locations and also what they wanted to feed on.

Revisited the farm today to check on the feeders I put in location the findings were as follows:

Feeders in the forest basin.

Feeders in the forest had been attacked and eaten by a squirrel, the base of the peanut feeder has been ripped of and eaten away. I have made the decision to not use this location for this reason. Also on the second visit the light was not that good, and I don’t think that I can get a clean background which is a key element that I want to use in my images. (reference Danny Green from previous project)

Since this has happened I have decided to look for a better location for this set of feeders. I have chosen to put them at the top of the farm as when I visited there last there seemed to be a lot of bird activity.

Feeders at the top of the forest near the slurry pit.

After four days the feeders were empty, this shows that there is a lot of birds feeding in this location. I refilled the feeders and straight away birds were coming in.

I have decided to invest in a cam net so that I can put it in place, so that the birds can get used to something alien in their environment. This will also check whether they get spooked by its presence.

Other activities on the farm.

Whilst searching the farm for other possible photographic subjects, I discovered three holes in the ground in a location known as badger hill. I am not sure what it living there so I have decided to invest in a trail camera so that I can see what is there. I also have other potential locations for this camera (see map) as I know that there are foxes in the location. Need to research trail camera and look at how best to use them. (research uses of them – Simon King and autumnwatch and springwatch)

Need to look at Andy Rouse's current project on birds that he is doing in Wales. (need to talk about them and critique them during major project).

I crept up the feeders from the field and the birds were already there feeding. What I was looking for was potential sites for the hide that I want to establish in the next couple of days. Have decided to give the location a bit of a trim as it is looking a bit cluttered.

Equipment needed for this:

Loppers

Small saw

Need to get a cam net, need to visit West Wales to buy this

Now need to establish a routine for filling the feeders. This I will do for the next week to help bring the birds in and so that they expect the feed.

Need to concentrate now on my dissertation as this is now a priority. I will go to fill the feeders to have a break from this.

Found an article today in Outdoor photographer about establishing a feed station. It suggested that you use metal feeders to conquer the problem of pesky squirrels


No comments:

Post a Comment