Search This Blog

Thursday 4 February 2010

Major Project: Bird Migration - Slimbridge January 2010



It's been a while now since I last posted work on my blog, however have been rather busy my Major Project for my degree. I thought it was about time that I updated you all so that you can see what I have been up to.

As January and February are really good months in the United Kingdom for Bird Migration I decided to concentrate on this during these months. I spent most of the time in Slimbridge WWT in Gloucestershire. In the week this place was quite deserted and most times that I was visiting there were no more that half a dozen people about. This suited me as it enabled me to look around the hides and find where the best places were to be to photograph the migration.

My Findings.

To see the incoming Bewick Swans use the hides that overlook that Rushy as this is where they come to feed during the night. This place is great for flight shots. (see the map below. No 9)


To see the Starlings coming in to roost (and I tell you January is the month for them as they are at their peak of around 60,000 birds), make sure that you are either in the Hides that overlook the Rushy or go the the lakes at position 12 on the map and wait for them to come round. I recommend that you have a wide angle lens with you and that it is either a 2.8 or better.

Images to follow...



No comments:

Post a Comment